Thursday, August 2, 2012

By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea...

Oh, we surely date ourselves with certain songs, don't we? 
 Are you telling me to speak for myself?
Insert Big Smile!

We are fortunate enough to go the beach weekly, most of the year.  
When I am ready to leave Fla. and that is guaranteed to happen every September, I think about the beach.  As much as I miss the woods and mountains, and I seriously drool when you post pictures of Fall, Snow, and great scenery,  I don't think I ever want to live landlocked again.    
All you Grammarians out there, was that a run-on sentence?
The rest of you, do you even remember what that is?
Me either!!

Back to the beach.  
We usually go for a walk down the shoreline.  
Some days there are very few shells, but this last time, we happened upon these two beautiful specimens.  
The one on the left is one of the most perfect spirals I've ever seen.  Not one chip, and I especially like the tiny gold dots evenly spaced all around it.
The one on the left is a perfect image of a dragonfly.  It's on both sides, so when I first picked it up, I kept turning it over to see if it had a hole as for a necklace chain.  It's so unusual, I have to wonder where it came from.  
I hope if you try to enlarge the picture, you can clearly see what I'm talking about.

I have been playing with this pattern for table runners.
One of the gals I work with at the quilt store told me how much fun it was to work with, so I had to try it.
Good thing she pointed it out, since the picture on the front would never have caught my eye.

You start out with border fabric.
The pattern is well written and easy to follow.  
The technique is all about how you cut the fabric and sew it together to create just 5 seams, and hopefully an interesting design.
There is no need for binding.
Where the triangles meet, it would have looked a lot better, I'm sure, if I'd done more fussy cutting to get all the motifs aligned.  
It was a lazy day!!
In the spirit of learning, I wanted to share it with you anyway, in all its imperfection.
If you try this, I'd love to see how yours turned out, and please share anything you learn along the way.
See you soon,
Till then, be safe,
Blessings,
Linda

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the table runner and I like the fabric also! What is the name of the pattern? I would like to look for it!

Linda said...

Hi Cynthia
Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. Our daughter, who's having the grandson, is on and off with labor, so my mind is in Ct. with them. She's having him at home, which I don't have a problem with, it's just hard to be this far away. Hoping and praying she's not much longer, since i know she's tired.
The pattern is by The Quilt Company and is called Easy Striped Table Runner. If you try this, I'd love to see!
Linda